Twenty-plus years litigation experience in federal and state courts, principally concentrating in complex commercial litigation, competition and antitrust law and class proceedings but also handling securities litigation, franchise litigation and legal malpractice.
- Mr. Goodwin played a central role in recovering $531 million in settlement for purchasers of high fructose corn syrup from ADM, A.E. Staley, Cargill, American Maize-Products and Corn Products Corporation on claims that they had fixed prices and allocated volumes among themselves, in a litigation that lasted ten years and involved four fully briefed appeals to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. ( In re High Fructose Corn Syrup Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1087 (C.D. Ill.))
- He was the principle pre-trial counsel in Ross v. American Express Co., 547 F.3d 137 (2d Cir. 2008), which refined arbitration law in the antitrust context.
- He led efforts in obtaining one of the seminal opinions concerning electronic discovery in Xperior Inc. v. Credit Suisse First Boston (USA) Inc., 309 F. Supp. 2d 459 (S.D.N.Y. 2003.)
- Mr. Goodwin served as lead counsel to the state court class action plaintiffs in a settlement yielding significant structural and monetary relief on behalf of GNC franchisees in Duarte v. GNC, No. 00-cv-332 (W.D. Pa.), and Powers v. GNC Franchising, Inc., No. GD 99-6778 (Allegheny County).
- He has helped retirees in recovering medical benefits, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, that were revoked by their former employers (In re Unisys Retiree Medical Benefits ERISA Litigation, MDL No. 969 (E.D. Pa.), Local 56 UFCW v. Campbell Soup Co., No. 93 MC 276 (D.N.J)), and millions in assets mis-invested by their pension funds (Rose v. Cooney>, No. 5:92-CV-208 (D. Conn.)).
- J.D., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School. Member, Law Review.
- B.A., Economics, cum laude,, Williams College. Graves Essay Prize in Economics.
- Mr. Goodwin serves is the past President of the Center City Residents Association, where he also chair the Liquor Licensure Committee.
- Mr. Goodwin is the Assistant Secretary to the Eight Ward Democratic Committee, and is a Democratic committee person for the second division in the Eighth Ward.
- Mr. Goodwin lives in Philadelphia with his wife and their two children.